Thursday, February 9, 2012

Beaver Creek Biscuits and Barbeque (Lithia Springs, GA)

1451 6 Flags Road
Lithia Springs, GA 30122
770-739-0200

Beaver Creek Biscuits & Barbeque on Urbanspoon


It's a cloudy Saturday afternoon. I call my buddy, Kenan. "Do you want to get lunch?" He replies, "Yes." "Do you want to get BBQ?".....without hesitation, "YES."

I love my friends.

It's been a while since I've headed out to the Six Flags area in Lithia Springs. As a kid we all had season passes to Six Flags each summer and spent more time waiting in lines for rides, trying to flirt with girls, and eating junk food than I can remember. Not needing either of our parents to drive us anymore, we headed out that way to nearby Beaver Creek Biscuits and Barbeque.


Apparently this place cooks up a mean breakfast in addition to just BBQ. It was well into the afternoon or I would've been more than happy to try both. Maybe another time. Until then, the chopped pork, chicken half, and ribs will need to suffice. We got a couple sides as well which included Brunswick stew, baked beans, fresh cut fries, and coleslaw. There's nothing exciting or spectacular about Beaver Creek. This joint is old and weathered...just like I like 'em. Having served BBQ for over thirty years now, it's become a local favorite on the west side of Atlanta. It was pretty empty when we arrived with a couple locals getting takeout orders. The not-so-talkative young lady working the register seemed more concerned about getting off work than answering any of our first-timer questions. I understood though. I was sixteen once too.

Beaver Creek boasts a "Seminole Sauce" which seems to be a West Carolina inspired tomato, vinegar, mustard sauce. It's decent. I don't like to get into critiquing sauces too much because it's solely on personal preference. Objectively, no "style" sauce is better than the other. In addition to the "Seminole Sauce" there's also a heavy cayenne pepper flavored hot sauce. This wasn't my favorite.



The chopped pork here is good. It's not the best I've ever had, but it's far from the worst. The nice, smoky chunks of bark and tender pieces of pork leave no need for any type of BBQ sauce. The pork was easily the highlight of the meal though. The spare ribs were tender and smoky, but lacked any good seasoning or texture. The chicken was inedibly dry and a waste of money. The sides were all pretty ordinary and boring...average coleslaw, average Brunswick stew, average baked beans (Bush's), and average french fries.


I'd like to make it back to Beaver Creek Biscuits and Barbeque for breakfast one of these days, but I doubt I'll be making the trip based only on their middle-of-the-road BBQ. I love the atmosphere, their use of good hickory smoke, and no frills approach. It's a pretty average meal though and not worth traveling out of your way for.

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion as a KCBS member and judge and competition cook, your middle of the road BBQ comment was a bit off. In all fairness it might have been an off day..no excuse when in business. I eat there more than most of the other places around. Always try a place twice, it's what I do....

    ReplyDelete